Code

2011年7月11日星期一

First day at work

It's already a few month past April fool. But Mr Oh still surprised me today. He didn't seem to remember 11 July is my first day when I stand in front of him this morning. He was not as surprised as I was. I think he is an introvert version of Mr Gi, who doesn't laugh much when he should thus making others feel funny.

He cleared a table next to His brother, Mr Elderly Oh. So that becomes my temporary seat for now. Mr Oh's brother doesn't look like him except they are really rarely talk. In fact, other people in the room including Robin, Ananda, and Mr Wang (I think English name is easier to remember) talk very little. I should fit in this environment quite well.

I am given a HP Probook6xxxx. I always like laptops of business class, simple and devoted. Ananda seems like my mentor for the first day. He helped me installed all the necessary software on the laptop and briefed me about my job scope. Basically, I will help enhance an existing system by adding features. Those features are listed in a design document probably written by Mr Oh himself. I am required to come up with a schedule to complete the tasks. The project is about collecting worldwide data for Christ Crusade. The scale is large, thus the whole process is designed hierachical. Drupal is used to manage content on top of a so called AiApp framework. From the source code I read so far, I don't see any advantage of using such a framework. The code structure is lengthy and messy. Without a good tool like notepad++, one hardly can understand the code. I feel my job is kind of hacking though it's not as exciting as the word sounds. I find some key words in source files and then try to add or modify some code around it. I don't have to really understand everything just trial and error.

Mr Oh bought some tables in the afternoon. So I guess I will move to new table tommorrow. By the end of the day, I've already hacked a simple feature out. Hopefully, tomorrow is a better day.

1 条评论:

Olivia Lai 说...

I think the working environment is okay for you; it helps u to concentrate on the work and improve ur programming skill.